27 March 2019
6:00 PM - 8:30 PM | Welcome drinks reception
28 March 2019
8:15 AM - 9:00 AM | Registration and networking breakfast
9:05 AM - 9:20 AM | Co-chair opening remarks
Charles Martin, Senior Partner, Macfarlanes, UK
9:20 AM - 10:20 AM | Keynote- Honing the Mindset, Skillset, and Behaviors of Innovators: The Secret-Sauce for Service Differentiation
Professor Michele DeStefano, University of Miami Law School, USA
10:20 AM - 10:45 AM | Refreshment and networking break
10:45 AM - 11:35 AM | People issues in times of turbulence and change
- Culture, morale and pay: the interrelationship
- Diversity and inclusion: the challenges
- Feedback, mentoring and assessment
Moderator: Shawn McReynolds, Managing Partner, Davies Ward Phillips & Vineberg, Canada
Robert Legh, Chairman and Senior Partner, Bowmans, South Africa
Geert Potjewijd, Managing Partner, De Brauw, Holland
Alex Saleh, Partner & Head of Private Equity, Al Tamimi & Co, Kuwait
Melinda Wallman, Founder and Managing Director, XX Advantage, UK
11:35 AM - 12:20 PM | Thrive in today’s world: How to implement technology transformations & drive value
- What strategy and framework should you use to implement change?
- What technology is worth the investment and how innovative are clients expecting their law firm to be?
David Griffin, Head of Legal & Governance Systems and Change, BT Group, UK
Luca Bertoli-Mitchell, Head of EMEA Legal Growth, Tessian, UK
Isabel Parker, Director of Legal Services Innovation, Freshfields, UK
Petra Zijp, Managing Partner, Nauta Dutilh, Amsterdam
12:20 PM - 1:20 PM | Lunch and networking break
12:45 PM - 1:15 PM | Legal Talent Roundtable
1:20 PM - 2:10 PM | Law firms marketing surgery: Ensuring your brand thrives
Moderator: Adam O.Emmerich, Partner, Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen & Katz, USA
John Kiely, Managing Director, Edelman, UK
Elliot Moss, Partner & Head of Business Development, Mishcon de Reya, UK
2:10 PM - 3:10 PM | Interactive boardroom discussion
A)The impact of geopolitical issues on independent law firms
In this interactive boardroom discussion our speakers will discuss the impact of geopolitical issues in their jurisdiction and the impact that it has had on their law firm, clients and how they have prepared:
- Strengths and weaknesses of domestic firms in times of international stress
- How work types change
- The opportunities
- Lessons learned
Sadiq Jafar, Managing Partner, Hadef & Partners, Dubai
Dimitris E. Paraskevas, Managing Partner, Elias Paraskevas Attorneys, Greece
- What is the strategy behind creating your own innovation hub: is it worth the investment?
- What resources do you need in place to successfully execute your strategy?
- What are the common pitfalls that firms have come across when trying to create a technology hub? Can they be resolved by combining forces with other law firms?
Robert Millard, Partner, Cambridge Strategy Group, UK
Nicola Woodfall, E-Disclosure Manager, Travers Smith, UK
Differentiation is essential for independent firms to thrive in the competitive legal market and one way to stand out from the crowd is to create an outstanding team and an appealing culture. A selected panel of associates and trainees will candidly discuss the challenges of the future for their firms, including their concerns about organisation business flexibility, technology, and work/life balance.
Kylie Dollard, Associate, Arthur Cox, Ireland
3:10 PM - 3:30 PM | Refreshment and networking break
3:30 PM - 4:15 PM | Collaboration: Practical solutions for common challenges
- How do you create a collaborative culture?
- Consideration of cultural differences between firms and the impact this can have on collaboration
- What is the impact of increasing use of technology in relation to collaboration and how will this develop in the future?
- Project management: a vital tool for efficiency and collaboration- how to raise your game?
Dimitry Afanasiev, Chairman, Egorov Puginsky Afanasiev & Partners, Russia
Jan Dernestam, Managing Partner, Mannheimer Swartling, Sweden
4:15 PM - 5:00 PM | Evolution of business services within law firms
- What are the trends?
- How to identify the talent that you need?
- War stories and ideas for successful engagement
Tony Williams, Consultant, Jomati Consultants & Former Managing Partner, Clifford Chance, UK
Nick Woolf, Partner, Sainty, Hird & Partners, UK
5:00 PM - 5:35 PM | Closing keynote
- Current thoughts on panel composition?
- Tricks and tips that law firm managing partners can incorporate into their strategy you improve relationships with clients?
Interviewee: Rosemary Martin, Group General Counsel, Vodafone Group, UK
5:35 PM - 5:45 PM | Chairmans closing remarks
Adam O.Emmerich, Partner, Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen & Katz, USA