Thursday, September 29, 2022
8:00 AM - 9:00 AM | Registration & Breakfast
9:00 AM - 10:00 AM | Opening Keynote: Why Not? Achieve Your Full Potential by Rethinking the Question: Why?
Why do we have to have a reason for the path we choose in life? We often get so caught up in trying to answer the question “why?” that an opportunity passes us by. In this talk, former CIA officer and FBI agent, Tracy Walder, uses her own unique life experience to demonstrate how embracing the question “why not?” can lead to life-changing opportunities. Relying on gut instincts, she shares how she went from a history major at USC to the CIA counterterrorism center, from taking down a Chinese spy ring as a special agent in the FBI to becoming a history teacher at an all-girls school. Through using her own unconventional journey, Walder inspires audiences to embody this “why not” approach and not let the question of “why” dictate how they lead their lives.
Former CIA officer and FBI special agent
Author, The Unexpected Spy
10:00 AM - 10:05 AM | Transition Break
10:05 AM - 11:00 AM | GC of Tomorrow: The Business Leader & Strategic Advisor
Gone are the days where General Counsel and in-house lawyers are considered purely legal roles within an organization. As GCs are moving into CEO roles, the expectations have evolved into a trusted strategic advisor, where they are considered a core member of the top management team. GCs now need to be business leaders within their organizations, thinking broadly to provide direction, and responsible for wearing multiple hats that reflect the needs of all departments in the company.
- Addressing current market conditions impacting the business and building a forward-thinking mentality to anticipate upcoming problems the organization will face.
- Exploring how to be the voice of reason and lead with empathy while leveraging power of influence when dealing with increased pressures and conflicting needs from all areas within a company.
- Understanding what General Counsels are doing to mitigate risk and how to determine risk tolerance.
- Tracee Thomas, Assistant General Counsel - HR (lead), Commercial & Real Estate, Incora
- Julie Glasser, VP, Corporate Law, Sangamo Therapeutics
- Kelly Carr, Chief Legal & People Officer, The Brandt Companies, LLC
- Alexandria McCombs, Managing Chief Counsel, Health Systems, Provider Solutions & Pharma Technology & Innovation Group, McKesson
11:00 AM - 11:30 AM | Morning Networking Break
11:30 AM - 12:30 PM | Addressing Global Data Privacy Concerns: Keeping Your Company Safe From Risk
Data privacy protection rules are expected to pose one of the biggest challenges to organizations globally. This session will provide the latest information on how regulation is changing around the world and how businesses need to prepare to continue operating, while also preserving their customers’ trust.
- Learning how to keep up with the changing laws affecting the handling of data where your organization is doing business, despite where it is based.
- Recognizing privacy as a leading concern for consumers and realizing why compliance remains a vital priority to manage risk and reputation.
- Discovering whether your company is prepared in the case of a data breach and understanding the consequences that follow.
- Dr. Kelce Wilson, General Counsel of the North Texas Chapter, Infragard
- Dan Nirdlinger, Assistant General Counsel of Cloud, Cybersecurity and Privacy, SAP America, Inc.
12:30 PM - 1:30 PM | Networking Lunch
1:30 PM - 2:30 PM | Navigating Purposeful Corporate Culture: What Does Your Organization Stand For?
Taking the right stance in today’s society is a challenge for organizations, especially given the current political and social environment. In this session, learn how to navigate taking a stance on important societal issues your company is passionate about and receive guidance on how to pave the way in creating a purposeful company culture to bring measurable value to the organization. As GCs, it is pertinent to take the right approach for your organization’s brand/reputation and you should also be aware of the potential backlash you could receive.
- Navigating reputational risk, branding and operating ethically without stepping too far out of your organization's lane.
- Discussing ways to approach and gain support from the executive team to drive purposeful initiatives.
- Identifying the impact and changes that political shifts will have on business and issues going forward.
- Shelby Angel, VP & General Counsel, Gold's Gym
- Elizabeth Ramirez-Washka, Associate General Counsel, VP of Diversity & Inclusion, Boy Scouts of America
- Lewis McReynolds, Senior Vice President and Corporate Counsel, Extraco Corporation
- Yvonne Skasko, Senior Counsel, Marketing & Advertising, Uber
2:30 PM - 2:35 PM | Transition Break
2:35 PM - 3:30 PM | The Trailblazing GC: Driving ESG Initiatives Forward
It is proving to be a very unique time for businesses, as attention to ESG continues to become increasingly more significant. With circumstances that will impact the way leaders navigate forward, GCs are now expected to take the lead on ESG initiatives for their organizations.
- Reviewing how to be prepared to respond and take the lead on representing the organization’s values and priorities.
- Acknowledging the importance of learning and internalizing your company’s targets, metrics and priorities as it relates to ESG, and helping to ensure that the company uses them in decision-making at every level.
- Considering how the GC can support the business in its diversity and inclusion goals, and foster diverse and equitable staffing.
- Earnest DeLoach, Vice President - Legal, Balfour Beatty
- Vaishali Bhatia, Senior Vice President and General Counsel, The HollyFrontier Companies
- Mike Sullivan, VP & Deputy General Counsel, Celanese
3:30 PM - 4:00 PM | Afternoon Networking Break
4:00 PM - 5:00 PM
Roundtable 2 - Employment Law Update