Wednesday, September 25, 2019
Hedge & Private Equity
11:30 AM - 12:30 PM | Prevention Strategies: Targeting Emerging Strains Of Fraud
Fraudsters have not hesitated to exploit opportunities arising from the pandemic. It is not uncanny of fraudsters from criminal organisations or individuals to perpetuate a loophole in the system. As businesses scramble to adjust to remote working and new digital frameworks, criminal organisations and individuals have been quick to see through the confusion and fear.
- Fraud Radar: What are the latest fraud trends?
- What preventive frameworks and strategies should you have in place?
- Playing the whack-a-mole game: How to quick identify and tackle new strains of fraud
- Latest update to regulation and key case laws
1:30 PM - 2:30 PM | Virtual Teams: Does Remote Working Have A Place In The Future Of The Profession?
No one could have anticipated that 2020 would be the year that the legal profession went virtual. In 2019, we talked as it this was 10 years away. Today, legal departments, law firms and courts all across the world have embraced and implemented these technologies and new working practices. This transformative shift for the legal profession has brought new opportunities and risks for General Counsel. The imposing risks have been quick to appear, but understanding the opportunities has been much more clouded. In this new digital age, how can you managing a remote workforce, continuing to drive productivity and inclusivity, over these new digital platforms?
- Sharing best practices for managing a remote workforce
- What obstacles and risks did we have to overcome along the way?
- Identifying the opportunities for the future
- Lessons learnt and key successes from this transformation process
- What are the long term implications?
Ben Berman, General Counsel, Jobcase Inc.
Archana Rajendra, Senior Associate General Counsel, Henry Ford Health System & Health Alliance Plans
Robyn Frank, VP Diversity & General Counsel, CenterForce USA
3:00 PM - 4:00 PM | Ethics Best Practices In The Role Of General Counsel & Corporate Governance
With corporate governance coming under the microscope, in house teams need to ensure they have a handle on their responsibilities to their company and as a leader in the organization. There is a balance between providing advice and mitigating risk. In addition, General Counsel in today's environment must deal with increasing scrutiny from not only the board, but also the media and government.
- Exploring the top concerns for corporate legal departments
- Understanding the latest ethical concerns arising phase 2 of the global crisis
- Effectively managing ethical crisis with a fast response and communications plan
Jared Sine, Chief Legal Officer & Secretary, Match Group
Megan Ryan, Executive VP & Chief Legal Officer & General Counsel, Nassau Health Care Corp
Adam Rattner, General Counsel, ImagineMIC
Thursday, September 26, 2019
Hedge & Private Equity
11:30 AM - 12:30 PM | Off-Setting The Impact Of Decreasing Budgets With Creative Solutions
Legal department goals have become more dynamic, but often budgets remain stagnant or shrink. While these external pressures are escalating, internal corporate demands to reduce costs are also intensifying. As a result General Counsel are beginning to explore creative new solutions to approach their budgets; managing their resources and maximising their value.
- Top strategies for effectively managing resources across the legal department
- Creative techniques and solutions for getting the most out of your budget
- Maximising the value from your external partners/ALSPs/LPOs and providers
- Unlocking support from the wider business functions
Hank Greenberg, General Counsel, Oscar Health
Deborah Raisin, Senior VP, Chief Legal Officer & Secretary, Hillrom
1:30 PM - 2:30 PM | Getting The Board On Board: Making Your Case & Securing Budget
Today's boards are holding the purse strings tighter than ever and every department is vying for money. With the predicted economic downturn approaching, legal departments need to make their requests stand out from the crowd in order to gain the budget to drive successful initiatives for the legal team.
- The best techniques for pitching your case to the board
- Understanding the perspective of the board and what they are looking to see
- How body language and voice can be the key to compelling pitch
- Leveraging your data and analytics tools to boost your pitch
Luis Avila-Estrada, VP, Governance & Compliance, Assistant Corporate Secretary, Cox Enterprises
Sonia Galindo, SVP, General Counsel, Secretary & Chief Ethics & Compliance Officer, Flir Systems
Brian Doran, Executive VP, General Counsel & Corporate Secretary & Chief Administrative Officer Investors Bancorp
3:00 PM - 4:00 PM | The New World Of Work: Exploring Non-Traditional Legal Careers & Employment
Legal technology and operations unit have been steadily growing and becoming more prevalent within corporate legal departments. With the rise of these non-legal roles within the in house departments and as many have had to embrace new roles in 2020, we take a look at the new wave of career opportunities open to General Counsel and their teams and what the future landscape will look like after the current crisis passes.
- Exploring the rise of non-legal roles inside the corporate legal department and how legal operations and technology can add intrinsic value to your function
- Integrating and building new non-legal units from the foundations to a full team
- Exploring new roles in times of change: Embracing the opportunities arising from the storm